Friday, February 24, 2017

3 Gluten free Pancakes

Pancakes were always a staple in my house growing - my dad loved cooking them for us for breakfast and he definitely made the best pancakes I've ever had! He'd always made the batter at night, and so going to bed I'd know we'd be having pancakes for breakfast!! He had one of those awful recipes that he couldn't share - a dash of this, a splash of that, a few eggs... What does that even mean?!?! He did it all by consistency and they truly were the best to be had!



Coconut Pancakes with Sugar and Lemon
Photo: TotallyTammy 

I honestly think this is where my love for breakfast food came from - my dad always had good, solid, tasty breakfasts ready for us in the morning!

With gluten making me so bloated that I look like I'm in my third trimester these days I can no longer enjoy the kind of pancakes my dad used to make so I've had a play around and come up with some delicious, gluten and dairy free pancake recipes!

I definitely plan to enjoy pancake Tuesday this year, and as it'll be Brewji first one it'll have to be extra pancakey and special!


Banana Pancakes

So easy anyone could make them. I've seen this recipe floating around for a while now so I definitely thought it was time that we gave it a go. I mean, it was a Sunday morning and there was some eggs in the fridge and a lonely banana on the counter. Presto Pancakes!! 



Ingredients for Banana Pancakes
Photo: TotallyTammy
I did enjoy these. I am fond of bananas and anything banana flavoured generally gets me excited, and they are ALMOST fool proof. I say almost as once the mushed banana and eggs are combined in a bowl and left for a few minutes while you heat up the pan, or make some coffee, the banana being denser will inevitably sink to the bottom. The first pancake was more of an egg white omelette with a hint of banana. 

Pro-tip: give it a good stir before spooning onto pan. 

These pancakes were yummy, and surprisingly super filling. We just enjoyed the with some golden syrup, but I'm sure they would be extra delicious with some yogurt and fresh fruit! 


Banana Pancake
Photo: TotallyTammy

Banana Pancake
Photo: TotallyTammy


Coconut Pancakes 

This is a recipe that I got from Cooking for the Specific Carbohydrate Diet - check out my review here

Ingredients;

  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tbsp of coconut oil or dairy-free butter
  • 1 tsp honey
  • ⅓ cup of dairy-free milk
  • 2 tbsp coconut flour I use Cocowell
  • pinch of salt

Coconut Pancake with Syrup
Photo: TotallyTammy 

Directions:
  • in a bowl mix wet ingredients
  • add flour and combine
  • let sit for a few minutes so the coconut flour can absorb the moisture
  • heat a pan
  • add 1 tbsp of oil - coconut oil is best
  • spoon in batter - allow to spread
  • cook until sides start t lift, then flip 
  • cook until golden brown
This recipe makes a delicious light pancake that tastes of coconut and fills your tummy. They are quite fragile so be careful! I really enjoyed these with sugar and lemon! 



Coconut Pancake with Sugar and Lemon
Photo: TotallyTammy
Coconut Pancake with syrup
Photo: TotallyTammy


Gluten-Free American Pancakes

I do love crepes and thin pancakes but sometimes a good spongy, American style pancake is just what the doctor ordered! I love how cake-like they are, it makes them great for absorbing syrup! These are a little bit more dense as with anything gluten-free but they still hit the spot. 



Gluten-Free American Style Pancakes
Photo: TotallyTammy 

Ingredients: 
  • ½ cup gluten-free flour blend - I use Doves Farm 
  • ½ tsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1½  tbsp oil
  • 50g dairy-free butter
  • 1 cup of dairy-free milk
Directions:
  • combine dry ingredients
  • combine wet ingredients
  • slowly add wet to dry to form batter
  • allow to sit for a few minutes
  • heat pan on medium heat
  • add 1 tbsp oil
  • spoon batter 
  • cook until sides begin to lift, then flip. 

Gluten-Free American Style Pancakes
Photo: TotallyTammy
Gluten-Free American Style Pancakes
Photo: TotallyTammy 


Topping Ideas!
Maple syrup and blueberries
Golden syrup and mixed nuts / Bananas
Bananas and Peanut Butter
Coconut sugar and lemon juice

I hope for any coeliacs, or gluten-intolerant people out there that this post gave you some ideas for Pancake Tuesday, or just for your weekend brunches! 

There's something very comforting about eating pancakes.One day I am going to buy a waffle iron and I can't wait! 

Have a great weekend,
Tammy x 

No comments:

Post a Comment