Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Best Homemade Guacamole

When it comes to my favourite type of cuisine I'm as fickle as the Irish weather. I could be with you at lunch and saying "Hands down, burgers are the greatest food! Well done America!" however by the time dinner rolls around I'll be lamenting "why isn't Lebanese food the one food of the world?" and those poor people who have never tried it "how are they surviving life?"

Brewji has taken to just smiling at me, shaking his head and saying "I know it's your favourite, dear."

Bacon and Guacamole Sandwich
Photo: TotallyTammy

Basically it just comes down to the fact that I love food - all food (except cauliflower because that's just gross) - so my mood changes depending on where we are, what I can see, what I can smell but most importantly, what's in the fridge!

There is one class of food that is a firm, solid, always on the list favourite in the Brewji household and that food is Mexican.

Taco night
Photo: TotallyTammy

For me, Mexican food just has a lot of what I look for in a delicious meal - it can be super flavourful, lots of different textures, colourful... But most importantly, I can eat it with my hands. Any day that I can ditch the fork or spoon I'm a happy girl.

But I think we all know what makes a Mexican meal superb, and that is a really good side of guacamole. It really is the highlight of the show - so satisfying and delicious. I don't know anyone who doesn't like it, aside from my mother but she doesn't really know what an avocado is, and because it is such a popular and delicious side that's why the restaurants can charge anywhere between €1 and €5 for it.

Guacamole
Photo: TotallyTammy

I always add it to my meal but you what? I still don't think I've had guacamole in a restaurant, at a food truck, in a food court or from the supermarket that is as good as the one I make. Yes, I'm very proud of my guacamole. It definitely has some African / Indian influences from my mother-in-law and I think that's what makes all the difference!

Ingredients: 

  • 2 ripe avocados
  • 1 salad tomato, ½ a beef tomato, or a handful of cheery tomatoes. 
  • 1 small shallot
  • a handful of cilantro
  • 1 lime
  • ¼ tsp of fresh garlic purée 
  • ½ tsp of fresh ginger purée 
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • chili flakes to garnish *optional 
Ingredients for guacamole
Photo: TotallyTammy

Avocados, tomatoes and lime
Photo: TotallyTammy

Directions: 
  • peel and mash the avocados
  • chop the tomato into small ½ cm pieces
  • finely chop the shallot
  • finely chop the cilantro
  • combine all solid ingredients
  • add freshly squeezed lime juice
  • add garlic and ginger
  • season with pepper and chili flakes to taste 
consume immediately, though if you do have leftovers it will keep in the 
fridge covered for up to 48hours. 

Guacamole mix
Photo: TotallyTammy

Guacamole never lasts long in our house. It may have originated from Mexican cuisine but we eat it with just about anything - I put it on toast, on potato waffles, with chips, with chicken, with a spoon... The list goes on! 

Overhead Guacamole
Photo: TotallyTammy 

I certainly hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. #Brewji to let me know if you try it! 

Tammy x

No comments:

Post a Comment